Thursday 8 August 2013

How not to get old

Why boob jobs aren't a good idea
I've just watched a programme with the above title. I had read mixed reviews about this, so I thought I would take a look for myself, rather than rely on other people's opinions. So luckily it's still available on 4OD.

Instead of sensible advice for those of us who are of a certain age, it turns out the programme mainly about advice on cosmetic surgery.

First of all, a woman of 28....you read right, it's not a typo. 28

She's had kids and has the obvious stretch marks and loose skin that comes with motherhood. She has no confidence whatsoever. The presenter doesn't do her any favours either, comparing her body to that of a pensioner. The young woman says she can't go to the pool or the beach or make love with the lights on. The obvious advice would be some sort of counselling on body image therapy. But no, the advice is 'the only solution would be surgical' is the answer. This is just sending out the wrong information to other women with the same issue but cannot afford this option (the figure quoted for this lady's procedure is $5,600!!!). Not only because of the financial cost, but also the fact that one of the women interviewed who had the procedure mentioned that she was not able to do any housework for a few weeks. So I guess she was able to afford a cleaner as well.

I can relate to that young woman. It has taken me a long time to accept my stretch marks, but now that I am in my 50s I have the confidence that I never had in my 20s. I have come to terms with my body and realised I am not a freak, it is something that most women who have had children experience. They are our battle scars which tell us that we have been there, done that and worn the t shirt. We are survivors.


But instead of boosting women's self esteem and acceptance, the media does its utmost to portray unrealistic images of women. There is a lot of money to be made in the beauty industry. In the programme, the presenter demonstrates a non-surgical treatment to make one's thighs 'lifted, smooth and youthful'. It costs a whopping £1,600, and it consists of a machine that vacuums away fat cells 'painlessly'. The beautician does mention that you also need to watch your diet and take regular exercise. Don't try this at home with your old vacuum cleaner just in case......


It's not just women featured in the programme. A 41 year old man is self conscious about the bags under his eyes. His partner isn't very supportive, and chips in that even though she is older than him, he looks a lot older than her. In my opinion, he actually looks very normal. Call me old fashioned, but I like my men to look masculine, not like a plastic Ken Doll. Give me Lemmy from Motorhead any day, warts and all!!!






1 comment:

  1. Shows like this really get on my nerves. They sell confidence by telling women that you can only be confident when you're looking your absolute best. If you're not made up, not tucked in, not stitched up, then you're not allowed or able to have confidence. Sadly, many women believe this idea, as it's so thoroughly shoved down everyone's throats. :(

    Great article. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete